- Art Works in Soldotna has photography by Bill Heath on display through September.
- Kaladi Brothers on the Sterling Highway in Soldotna has art by Kathy Matta on display through September.
- Kaladi Brothers Kobuk Street in Soldotna has paintings by Melinda Hershberger on display through September.
- The Kenai Fine Arts Center in Old Town Kenai has Peninsula Art Guild’s annual Harvest Art Exhibition on display through September. The art will be auctioned to the public Sept. 27.
- Already Read Books In Kenai has a display of artwork by local artists, curated by Natasha Ala, on display through September.
- The Funky Monkey coffee shop in Kenai has artwork on display through September.
- Kenai Peninsula College Kenai River Campus will hold its annual community barbecue to kick off the school year and a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new skywalk and renovated science labs from 4 to 7 p.m. in front of the Goodrich and McLane buildings. A special announcement will be made at 5:30 p.m., with the ribbon cutting following. Door prizes will be awarded.
- First Thursday events include an opening reception for a local art exhibition at Already Read Books in Kenai from 5 to 7 p.m., an opening reception for the Harvest Art Exhibition at the Kenai Fine Arts Center from 6 to 8 p.m., an opening reception for an art show with live music by Linda Thune at the Funky Monkey in Kenai at 6 p.m., open mic night at Veronica’s in Kenai at 6:30 p.m., a bluegrass jam at Christ Lutheran Church in Soldotna at 6:30 p.m., and an opening reception for painter Melinda Hershberger at Kaladi Brothers on Kobuk Street in Soldotna.
- The Kenai Writers Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the conference room at the Kenai Community Library.
- A closing reception for “Alaskan Light: Mystery Revealed” summer art show will be held from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center. The theme and curator for the 2009 summer show also will be announced.
- Irish folk singer Fiona Molloy will perform at 8 p.m. at The Crossing in Soldotna. Tickets are $15, available at Sweeney’s. Proceeds benefit the Kenai Peninsula Literacy Program.
- A contra dance with live music from San Francisco band The Hillbillies from Mars will be held from 7:30 to 11 p.m. Saturday at the Ninilchik Fairgrounds. The band will give a music workshop from 4 to 6 p.m., and there will be a potluck dinner from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Admission for the workshop is $15 per person, and the dance is $10. Tent camping will be available.
- The Riverside in Soldotna has live DJ music every Friday and Saturday at 10 p.m.
- The Clam Shell Lodge in Clam Gulch has live music Saturday night.
- The Funky Monkey in Kenai has bluegrass music by Them Other Shuckers from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays.
- Hooligan’s Saloon in Soldotna has rock covers and originals by The Mabrey Brothers at 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Kaladi Brothers on Kobuk Street in Soldotna has acoustic music by Emily Grossman on Friday night.
- The Maverick in Soldotna has live music by Turk, Gypsy and Randy on Friday night and acoustic classic rock by the Free Beer Band at 9:30 p.m. Sunday.
- Moosequito’s in Sterling has acoustic music by Adam and Sonny at 10 p.m. Wednesdays and music by Turk, Gypsy and Randy at 10 p.m. Saturday night.
- Mykel’s in Soldotna has acoustic music by Dave Unruh from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- The Place in Nikiski has bluegrass music by Them Other Shuckers around 7 p.m. Friday.
- The Rainbow Bar in Kenai has rock covers by 9-Spine at 10 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- Veronica’s in Kenai has open mic music at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, and accoustic music by Dan Spencer and Robb Justice at 6:30 p.m. Friday.
- 9 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays at the Duck Inn on Kalifornsky Beach Road.
- 9 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays at the .406 in Kenai.
- 9:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday at Hooligan’s in Soldotna.
- 8:30 p.m. Friday at the J-Bar-B in Kasilof.
- 9:30 p.m. Monday at the Maverick in Soldotna.
- Moosequito’s in Sterling has “Guitar Hero” at 9 p.m. Thursdays.
- The Maverick in Soldotna has pool night at 9 p.m. Fridays.